“The purpose of the Prescott Area Woodturners (PAW), an Arizona non-profit corporation, shall be to foster and encourage a wider understanding and appreciation of woodturning as a craft and art form, both traditional and contemporary, among the general public, hobbyists and professional woodturners, to educate the general public and PAW members in the art and techniques of woodturning.”
The Prescott Area Woodturners’ members have at least one thing in common – they use a lathe.
PAW members run the gamut from beginners to experienced wood turners, creating simple bowls to complex decorative pieces. For most of us we learn by working with individuals whose skill level is higher than ours. With this thought in mind several members have offered to be mentors.
- Are usually more experienced individuals who have knowledge and understanding of the woodturning craft and are willing to share this knowledge through examples and advice.
- Act as role models to the mentee.
- Focus on technical skill and encourage self-development.
- Provide advice on “woodturnings” next steps and can recommend the mentee for guild service and active participation in social services involvement.
- Work especially well with those first starting out in this new craft and/or entering a new area of skill appreciation and development.
- Are interested in learning more about woodturning from other turners.
- Are dedicated to self-improvement and practice.
- Are willing and eager to accept instructions, suggestions, and guidance in the framework of positive one-on-one relationships.
- Will respect their mentor as one who is a volunteer and dedicated to the sharing of the satisfaction, meaningful activities of, and personal desire to help others in their development as wood turners.
John Armstrong - (928) 642-0917
Basics, Sharpen Tools, Spindles, Bowls & Platters, Embellishment, Hollowing, Finishes
Ken Allen - (208) 521-0493
Basics, Bowls & Platters, Pens
Philip Brown - (928) 541-9811
Basics, Bowls & Platters, Pens, Embellishment
Gary Frank - (928) 515-4195
Basics, Bowls & Platters, Pens, Segmenting, Finishes
Dan Hall - (928) 499-5591
Roger Harlow - (928) 533-4124
Basics, Sharpen Tools, Spindels, Bowls & Platters, Segmenting, Hollowing,
Jay Loden - (661) 644-9228
Resin & Epoxy
Walt Spencer - (619) 987-0621
Basics, Sharpen Tools, Spindles, Bowls & Platters, Hollowing, Thread Chasing
Dennis Egan - (512) 413-0866
Bowls & Platters, Finishes, Flat Boarding
Bruce Butler - (928) 533-1237
Basics, Bowls & Platters, Thread Chasing
Dave Madden - (928) 717-2261
Basics, Sharpen Tools, Spindles, Bowls & Platters, Embellishment, Hollowing, Finishes, Thread Chasing
Dean Humphrey - (623) 734-8053
Mounting and securing the work piece, Basic tool use, Bowls, Platers, Spindles, Finials, Hollow Forms, Sharpening
Jerry Walters - (928) 284-1339
Basics, Sharpen Tools, Finishes
Ric Davis - (949) 874-3015
Basics, Sharpen Tools, Spindles, Bowls & Platters, Segmenting, Hollowing, and Flat Boarding
Don Milburn - (928) 606-4622
Carbide Tools, Pens, Resin & Epoxy
Karel Armstrong - (928) 308-7540
Captive Rings, Embellishment
Dick Kelly - (928) 499-9232
Digital Design & Router Carved Art, Embellishment
Bruce Potter - (928) 848-6150
Musical Instruments, Pens
Joel Brooks - (928) 651-4278
Bowls & Platters, Segmenting